Friday, June 15, 2012

Check 1, 2, 3

Becoming an influential speaker is incredibly difficult. The ability to touch, inspire or connect with people from a range of backgrounds is an extraordinary talent. When thinking about influential speakers that I've experienced I kept coming back to those in the Entertainment Industry or Politics. Watching interviews, presentations or performances those in the public eye have to be on point and effectively communicating their thoughts and ideas. 

The person I initially thought of was Dave Matthews. He's a musician, actor, father, husband among other things and he's absolutely my favorite! He's involved with about twelve charities, supports many causes and hosts fundraising and benefit concerts often. He is hilarious, unique, quirky and captivating. I think it's important to be able to laugh at yourself, and he does it well. What I love about Dave Matthews is that he can connect with people on multiple levels. His music possesses so much emotion and evokes emotion from you, the same lyrics have the power to mean so many different things; it just depends on the person listening to them. One of his lyrics that comes to mind is from a song Funny the Way It Is "Someone's broken heart becomes your favorite song." 

Dave Matthews' songs mean a lot to me! I've been a fan for years and see him in concert almost twice a year with my Mom and sisters! He has many sides and I appreciate the person he is and remain intrigued by him.

Continuing on the subject of those involved with the Entertainment Industry, I feel that many of them tend to put their foot in their mouth. Like Donald Trump, Charlie Sheen, Snooki, Paris Hilton etc. Is it an act? Does the media catch them on bad days? Are they really ignorant? I think it's a combination of a lot of things, but one of the things that bothers me most is when people, regardless in the public eye or not don't show respect for others; along with acting completely stupid and thinking it's cute. I think that those individuals who don't think before they speak are the worst kind of speakers and do the most damage.

1 comment:

  1. I love what you said about the people who put their foot in their mouths. I think that there are a lot of celebrities that think that sounding ignorant is cute. Although I don’t think it’s cute, it is actually quite smart. Let’s think about it, there are lots of people in the entertainment business that do so much for the world, and although they sometimes do get praised for it, it’s not very often. Then there are celebrities that have no clue how to properly speak in public, sound like complete idiots, yet they are often trending topics on social networking sites/ celebrity blogs. Just the fact that they are being ridiculous often times gives them more fame. I think that there are some celebrities that have such grace when speaking but are often not praised for it. Like you said, becoming an influential speaker is incredibly difficult and sometimes some celebrities are not cut out for that.

    ReplyDelete