Monday, June 25, 2012

Creature of Culture

Yes, I fully agree that our habits, beliefs and impossibilities are shaped by our culture. Culture defined is that part of the environment made by humans, including material objects or possessions that a social group invents or acquires; alongside items intangible like customs, values and beliefs that give them a sense of commonality. Materials and possessions made important to us are done so through culture. Maintaining good grades, being a talented athlete, going to college, having a lot of friends; all ideal values created through the culture I grew up in. Granted these are good values to be apart of and not necessarily something to break through.


But an individual living in a culture they don't fit in to or no longer want to be apart of are faced with a difficult task of breaking through the limits. I think many students accomplish this break through with academic scholarships or through their athletic talents. Opportunities arise every day for many people, it's having the courage and determination to discover and commit to them. We watch so many inspirational movies and read books about a person starting with nothing and creating something. Becoming who you want to be instead of being molded into a creature made by the culture your society practices. The answer will always be no if you never ask the question. We are told to think outside the box, push ourselves, and I think that's is best way to break free. Another break through source could be imagination: believing and wanting something greater for yourself. The power of imagination can take us anywhere.

I feel that culture is something you make for yourself. I don't believe in order to be successful you must adopt someone else's culture and values, instead I think we take parts for all types of cultures and build on our own. It's more fun that way :) and the possibilities are limitless!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Phoenix,

    Interesting post! I absolutely agree with you. In my own post, I went into the whole "nature vs nurture" debate, which discusses the difference between being influenced by your genetics, or by your environment. Considering the idea of "nurture", I certainly agree that it would take a great deal of commitment to break through the cultural limits and impossibilities therein. I think a great example of this concept can be seen in the move, 'The Blind Side', where a young boy raised in the ghetto comes to terms with his own dreams and personal potential. After great adversity, he manages to push through and become a successful football player.

    Great job!
    -Tyrone Q

    ReplyDelete