Thursday, July 19, 2012

E.T. Phone Home

Yes, to an extent I feel that Marshall McLuhan does a detailed job of stating television is a cool medium because it demands full attention to detail by the viewers.  Also the person on TV delivering the message represents the cool factor engaging the audience holding the medium.  To be on TV in our society means to be very successful, outrageously sexy and talented.  People who watch TV hold on to these values and want to watch these people's lives and follow them through the cameras.  McLuhan compares TV and radio in a cool-hot distinction.  Meaning, radio personalities are people undesirable for television.  Their voice is more appealing than their physical appearance.  Which is harsh, but the media and television interest is in the best of the best.  We watch, admire, look up to idols with flawless skin, a tight physic and unique talents.  We don't want to watch average people doing day-to-day busy work.  The medium of television holds excitement and a reality we want to believe is real.
The way viewers interpret the messages from TV vary drastically.  Depending on what shows and programs you are fascinated by depicts the type of cool medium you absorb.  I do enjoy watching TV: The Discovery Channel, A&E, FOX, etc and I will indulge in some reality TV like Big Brother and Survivor.  However, I do not find The Jersey Shore or Real World to be entertaining at all.  Those messages are lost on me.  But I know hundreds of people love that type of TV so they are reached through their own medium.  I don't think it really matters what message is being transmitted, it matters who is absorbing it and what is actually meant to be absorbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment