Ethnographers have multiple moral dilemmas to face when embarking on research journeys. The definition alone says their observations are scientific not personal. As an ethnographer you must observe people in their own territory, therefore befriending or dating a person in that territory is their way in. The only reason they are establishing a relationship with that person is to discover or uncover the facts and information hidden within the people that make up a certain territory. We've seen this many times in movies and books but that's fantasy and usually always ends up okay in the end. But this is real life, real peoples lives that these ethnographers are intruding on. Most of the time an ethnographer will have a buddy, or informant to help answer questions and set up personal interviews. I think being an ethnographer who is preforming an overt roll as opposed to covert is more beneficial for making real friends and avoiding hurting people. But I do understand the covert role as well to truly observe others in a natural state. When people know they are being watched they act and say different things. In order to resolve some of these issues on a moral level, I would put others before me. Let them know I am observing and become apart of their territory in a positive and aware manner, instead of sneaking in and possibly hurting others around me.
Hello Phoenix,
ReplyDeleteYou made several great points in your analysis of the moral dilemmas that ethnographers face. The idea of ethnographers not being personal but being expected to work their way into a group is somewhat a contradiction. In order to fully immerse yourself into a particular group or anything of that matter it must be somewhat personal. However, these guys must be debriefed and overall be heartless. This might sound difficult for me or you, but for those who venture to study by ethnographic research, it is simple after a while. I also agree with your explanation on the covert and overt roles. They both pose pros and cons but overall I would side with the covert more as well. This was a well-written response. Glad I read it.
Great Job,
-g23
Hey Phoenix,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you when you say overt roles is more beneficial for not hurting people and making friends. I think overt roles can give a person that opportunity to go back and ask more questions they may have forgotten after their work has been published. Or do a follow up research with the same group. Those who choose a covert role may not have that same opportunity because once their work is out in the public the group which was observed will know what was done to them. The observer would have burned all bridges and odds are would not be invited back. It is best to be open and honest with a group to build a professional relationship. GREAT POST!!
Hi Phoenix!
ReplyDeleteYour points make a lot of sense. I can absolutely relate to the dilemma presented, as my own was quite similar. More to the point, however, you noted that "as an ethnographer you must observe people in their own territory, therefore befriending or dating a person in that territory is their way in." I think this statement speaks volumes about what it is that an ethnographer truly experiences for the sake of research. It is a complete and total immersion into the world of the subjects which you are studying. It's messy and hands-on, which is why I have so much respect for those willing to do it!
Great post, as usual.
-TyroneQ