Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Me, Myself & I

Hidden Agenda
A personal goal that lies below the surface and that can get in the way of group performance.
An unfortunate element I'm assuming amidst any group that is formed. I believe we join or create groups in order to feel apart of something. While apart of that something we decide to set personal goals and then use this group to accomplish our own goals. I don't believe it's fair to short side the group and only work for yourself. But I do believe it's important to set goals for yourself and associate yourself with others that want the same thing.
My entire life I have played sports, I have learned how to be a team player and put others before myself but I have definitely experienced others who only put themselves first. Those people are usually the ones that don't make it. You can't forget those who helped you accomplish a goal because a lot of the time you need support from others.
Having or maintaining a hidden agenda is sneaky, unfair and almost malicious in my opinion. I love to help people, it makes me feel good and it makes them feel good too. I don't help people to feel better about myself, it just happens when you work together with others and achieve a goal together. I feel having a hidden agenda would hinder your chances of becoming who you want to be and what you want to accomplish.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I am also on a sports team and have been since i can remember. It sucks when someone has a hidden agenda and the rest of the team loses out because of it. This has never happened to me in person but on a tv show i once saw there was a good player who was only out to help himself. He was selfish and did not care what happened to the team. He had the idea that he was the best and deserved all the spotlight. It was a final game and scouts were there for recruitment and he played like an individual out for himself which cause the team to lose. because of his own agenda for himself, the team lost and he looked like he could not play on a team.

    Someone who has a hidden agenda may never get what they want. If they are only in a group for themselves then no they will not get what they really need and the group will suffer. It does not hurt to use a group to achieve a personal goal, but a person can achieve their goal by being honest and upfront about it and get support from the rest of the group.

    ReplyDelete