Which of the research methods listed in Table 13.3 seem the most interesting? Assume you want to study some aspect of deception. Frame a research question. Which method would you choose to answer the question. Why?
Ethnography would be my top choice for a research method. I think the idea of going undercover would be exciting. Fully experiencing the events and taking in others (you are observing) in a natural state in my opinion would be a great way to discover deception, create new hypothesis and see the raw emotions from people.
How is it that some long distance relationships are successful and others are not, and what is the secret to making the relationship work.
I research method I would use to answer this question would be Mixed Methods. I didn't choose Ethnography because that wouldn't be right to just have a long distance relationship to see if it worked. But, mixed methods I can take a survey, dig deeper into people thoughts with the conversation analysis method or subjective performance methods and visually digest the relationships of others. All research methods are very helpful I think it's important to choose the right one that runs parallel to the topic of your research question. There are no limits to the amount of information available to use and it's important to utilize all of our resources.
Hey!
ReplyDeleteYour post was very interesting because in my response to this same question, I chose the same methods as you did; ethnography and then to evaluate mixed methods. I had just about the same reasoning as you did, by using mixed methods and ethnography you gain a much richer, and more in-depth analysis of the topic you’re studying. What is interesting to note, is that with this trend towards ethnography and mixed methods, it’s a wonder more researchers don’t utilize these methods. I think in an ideal situation, where the money, time and resources all are in line, most researchers would be on the same page with us. Unfortunately, I feel that more often than not, most researchers are constrained by one or many of the resources they need to be able to complete a full ethnographic or mixed methods research project. Perhaps National Geographic or one of those channels should fund a new reality series called, “Ethnography,” where a researcher completes studies with hidden cameras for us all to experience!
Thanks for sharing and hope you have a great weekend!
Hi Phoenix,
ReplyDeleteI found it interesting that ethnography would be your top choice for research method. It does sound interesting to place yourself into the shoes of someone else but wouldn’t it be a bit scary to experience some things that you couldn’t ever imagine? Although, I do agree that it would be nice to get raw emotions from people and see their true state of mind when they are experiencing certain situations.
Secondly, I really like that you would research long distance relationships. I myself have experienced one and it definitely wasn’t easy. But I would be interested in seeing your results as to why some were successful and why some were not successful so I could compare them to my past relationship. Maybe you could use me as a research subject.
I really enjoyed your post! I too agree that it would be fun to be an ethnographer. I think that often times when you want to find out about a culture and see how their everyday lives are it is better to be around them on a daily basis and really put yourself into their perspective. If some people know that they are being observed, they might change the way that they do things because they could be shy or embarrassed. Although it can be deceptive, it is much better to go undercover then to tell people that they are being observed because then they will not change the way they do things.
ReplyDelete