Thursday, August 2, 2012

Social Constructionist Perspective

An individual participating in the social constructionist perspective, collects communication tools given to them by their culture and creates a reality of it. In this perspective communication and culture are linked together. Therefore, without either of the two reality to some wouldn't exist. The world we live in we see through our eyes and our mind interprets what we are seeing and categorizes it based on the culture we are apart of. Each culture has different beliefs and values which makes happiness and success available to anyone. However, what one culture might consider successful another may deem dishonorable. I think that being apart of a culture is important but I think it's critical to remember what you as a person want for yourself and what you consider true happiness and success; because truthfully it doesn't matter what your culture thinks of you if you aren't happy with yourself. Life is all about perspective and the great thing about that is, it can change every day.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Phoenix,
    I enjoyed this post and I completely agree with your concepts. The idea of the social constructionist perspective was kind of weird to me at first. However, after examining and researching the topic further I agree with the concept of culture and communication being linked. We see this in everyday communication. Those within different cultures often communicate differently than those in other cultures. This may be a result of various customs and traditions persuading certain type of communication. Your thoughts towards the measurements of success based on culture were awesome. The perspectives on what success is and contains varies amongst different groups of people. Overall, good incite and information.
    Great job,
    -g23

    ReplyDelete