Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Open Minded

I liked the term triangulation.
It means to approach a research question from multiple perspectives. Which I think is a great way to approach any question or situation in life. It's called being open minded. Challenging your brain to think from another perspective and plan ahead or predict the outcomes. I know too many people who are closed minded and can only see things from where they are seated. I pity them because there is more to life than thinking only for yourself. On a communication level it is really difficult to carry on a conversation with someone only interested in their side. Throughout high school I made a lot of friends and the friendships I found challenge to keep were with those who had narrow thoughts. It's more fun to be open and almost free spirited about everything in life. Those who execute triangulation I feel are better off in life. They can anticipate behavior and have a better understanding for those in life. I want to be a person of triangular thoughts and approaches.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Phoenix,

    I understand exactly what you mean about some people are so narrow minded they do not listen to other sides. I feel those type of people do not go as far in life because they are not willing to listening to others or take a chance on an uncertain experience. I also feel that those who may be too free spirited will have the opposite problem. They may take too many opportunities and risks where they may not be in one spot long enough to find their potential. I would prefer to hang out with free spirited people, they seem they would have more fun in life. GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phoenix,

    I too found the concept of triangulation to be really interesting in the context of models and how multiple models can be used to hone in on one process. When attempting to break-down communication phenoms in the context of research, it's so easy to lump things into easy-to-use formulas or models. The concept of triangulation, however, expresses that at times multiple approaches must be used to truly understand the correct answer. If more people applied this concept to the way they analyzed the world around them, I believe people would make better informed decisions and might even be less offended by the actions of others.

    -TyroneQ

    ReplyDelete